Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Slow Times

I frequently see sellers on Etsy and other venues complaining about a lack of sales or a dip in their sales. Slow times happen due to just bad luck, the economy, as part of seasonal shopping patterns, or because the seller has become complacent. How you deal with this can have a big impact on your business. Here's a list of a few dos and don'ts for when business is slow:

DO step up your promotion efforts. There are plenty of ways to promote for free or cheap when you don't have the space cash for advertising in the form of blogging, twitter, other social networking sites, squidoo, directories, participating in a giveaway or contest, etc.

DON'T sit constantly refreshing your stats or obsessing about them. Stats are useful but checking them constantly is not productive. No more than once a day.

DO work on new ideas. A new product line or variation can perk things up if people get excited about them. Besides when things do get busy you aren't going to have as much time to work on these things. The last time you want to be working on a new product type is the middle of the holiday shopping season.

DON'T look for a scapegoat. By this I mean don't look for something outside your control to blame your lack of sales on. It may exist, the economy isn't too hot right now, but you can't change some things. Focus on the factors you can control.

DO some homework. Take some time to take a class, read a book, etc. on running a small business. Your local small business association is a good reasource for this.

DON'T be afraid to ask for help. Many sellers are willing to give you some help, Etsy has a whole team full of them http://etsymentors.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

  1. Great ideas. Research current or upcoming trends. I like to watch slideshows on Style.com to see what inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit it....I haven't got a clue why my sales have been nada. Only five sales this year. And I've been doing everything I know to do.

    What I'm not doing is sitting around and complaining. I'm still out there networking, socializing, marketing, and creating.

    I've never been a big seller, but I love to create so I will keep on keeping-on. I can't imagine a time when I won't be making something. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list. I had to laugh about "Don't sit there refreshing your stats" I am a bit obsessive about checking my stats. Thanks for the reminder that its not really productive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have so many fabulous Etsy ideas here, I'm so glad I clicked over! I would love to link to some of your posts if you didn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great reminders!

    I always try to remind myself that slow business is an opportunity for improvement. There is never nothing to do.
    Really like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific advice Noadi! No matter what has caused the slowdown, re-evaluating one's shop and making appropriate changes to listings &/or photos, networking, reading to learn and taking new ideas to finished product will keep one too busy to worry about the lack of sales until things pick up. Business has cycles just like the economy and nothing lasts forever ... not the up and not the down :)

    Best regards,
    Diane
    http://dpeagreendesigns.etsy.com
    http://dpeagreendesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...