Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thought for today

My business in a way comes directly from being poor growing up. I turned to making stuff and drawing because craft supplies were cheaper than toys. You could always find craft kits at yard sales that people got and never got around to making. Fixing my toys when they broke because my parents couldn't afford to replace them. This is all well in the past, my parents worked hard and dragged us into the middle class bit by bit.

I don't say this to make anyone feel sorry for me. I'm well past feeling sorry for myself, just looking back and seeing how it affected my life. Our experiences shape our lives and sometimes we don't realize how until years later when you see something that brings it into focus.

This was all brought up by this blog post by John Scalzi: Being Poor

4 comments:

  1. So true, so true! It's interesting to look back and see what shapes us for the better. It's not usually the easy going times, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noadi, I'm always honored to read what you write. Character, as well as creativity, is created by the tough times. I remember mine fondly and, like you, know my family did the very best they knew how to create a better life for me.

    Thanks so much for sharing <3
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a little late in posting, however, your comments had a real impact on me. I never really thought about how my desire to craft developed but it definately comes from wanting to stand out in a large family and being crowded out by everyone. When I discovered everyone's delight at receiving something handmade I just kept going. I enjoyed my little spotlight.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...